Student (Met)Life

Students prepare for this weekend’s big game

Varsity Club was both NVOT’s most popular and newest club in 2017. Students who join are alloted club credit for going to school sports games. Dr. Sabatini came up with the idea in an effort to increase school spirit. Members take pictures of themselves each game they go to get credit. The Varsity Club has brought more kids than ever before to school sports games.

It’s not every day that a high school football team gets a chance at a state championship. It’s not every day that that same football team gets the chance to play on the field of NFL legends. While it may not be every day, every year it seems NVOT’s football team continues to qualify for the state sectional final game at MetLife Stadium.

For the third year in a row, NVOT’s football team is headed to the state sectional championship game at MetLife Stadium. Although there are student sections at every football game, not every student in the school attends. Will the stakes of Saturday’s game make a difference in attendance?

Some students, like junior Catherine Gordon, would not dream of missing the state sectional game this Saturday. Interestingly enough, for the junior class, every year that they have been in high school, the football team has made it to MetLife. Gordon has been to each of these games, and she said it has become “like a tradition… it’s something to look forward to.”

The football team has made an unprecedented 11-0 run this season. In fact, they have only allowed one team to score more than 10 points.

Sophomore Allie McGowan claimed that at MetLife, “Everybody is really focused on the game,” as opposed to the football games on our turf that she sees as more “social… to interact with friends… When you go to MetLife you are there for football, you are going to watch the game, and you are there to support your team.” She cited the “vibe” that surrounds Saturday night’s game as one that is more engaging than any before.

MetLife’s atmosphere will be filled with the multiple fan buses, tailgating plans, and blue-and-gold theme. She wondered, “If you don’t go, what else are you doing?”

Junior Matt Genova, on the morning of the game, will be taking the SATs, and will not be going to MetLife. As for other football games this year, Genova attended on “rare occasion[s].” Unlike Genova, junior Ryan Zangoglia has been to “every other game at home,” but he will not be attending Saturday’s game either. When given “…the choice between going to the football game or spending time with family,” Zangoglia prioritizes his family. Both boys will, however, be sure to follow up with their friends to hear about the score of the game.

Freshman Camryn Rosenzweig has never been to one of the MetLife games before, Saturday will be her first. She has “heard it is so fun to be there, and there’s so much energy.”  Rosenzweig “…think[s] that [we] can win the game… and [she] wants to be there to watch it happen.”

Unlike these underclassmen, senior Alexandra Trouilloud was unable to comment on the atmosphere of even NVOT’s home football games because she has never been to one in her high school career. Since this will be the last football game of her senior year, Trouilloud said, “it will be nice to cheer them on.” She talked about the school’s “legacy,” and she is looking forward to “a good time” at her first and final high school football game.

Those who are going are looking forward to spending time with their friends. They also repeatedly cited the “intensity” and “overall atmosphere” they are expecting at Saturday’s game, and they are sure that the football team will not disappoint.