NVOT Honored as Future-Ready School

For its technological structure, NVOT earned the title

NVOT has been acknowledged for its efforts to establish a sound technological structure for the benefit of its students through the Future Ready Schools certification program.

The certification, which labels NVOT as a “Future Ready School” (FRS), is “designed to promote digital learning readiness in schools throughout New Jersey by providing guidance, support, direction, and resources to schools and districts” said Supervisor of Professional Learning Virginia Senande. The program is a collaboration between the New Jersey Department of Education, the New Jersey School Boards Association, and New Jersey Institute of Technology.

Essentially, the goal of the certificate is to “demonstrate that [a school is] providing… a flexible instruction process using the technology,” said District Supervisor of Technology David Janosz.

In order to be eligible for certification, a school must meet the standards established by the program in three areas: leadership, technology, and digital learning in the classroom. Janosz stated, “The school submitted evidence aligned to each one of the indicators that was reviewed by other people.” Overall, the school provided proof of its technological abilities with over 100 indicators, a benchmark that a school must reach to demonstrate that it has reached certification status. NVOT had long been prepared to demonstrate itself as a developed educational institution providing students with endless opportunities through the medium of technology.

The certificate, which was presented to the school board, is a significant stepping stone for NVOT because it recognizes the administration’s proficiency at introducing and effectively utilizing technology in a classroom based setting. The acknowledgement of the certificate, Janosz said, “means a lot” being that Old Tappan is “one of only four high schools in Bergen County to receive it for the first time.”

The district has separated itself from the rest. Janosz believes that this distinction is due to how the technology department is “providing the hardware” which “is one thing that sets us apart.”

Senande added, the certificate “enhances the storied reputation of NVOT,” demonstrating that “the school and district are preparing their students for success in college, career, and citizenship.”

Janosz believes that this is because “not all schools have an online management system, which is a classroom teacher’s repository for all the content.” Technology use within the building has always been a strong feature of the school, with a plethora of programs offered to students. An example of the resources mentioned is Powerschool Learning, (formerly known as Haiku) which is used on a daily, if not hourly, basis by students. Moreover, students are also provided with programs that allow them to assist themselves through the efficient self service program, which is a school app store allowing students to be self-reliant.  Essentially, the actions taken on behalf of the school have benefitted students greatly and merited this certification from the state.

Nonetheless, Future Ready School certification program still strives to strengthen and build upon itself through future improvements. Among the potential ideas for updates is a possible ranking system in which schools can not only receive certification, but also fall under specified levels such as  “gold status”. This will allow schools to further distinguish themselves from other districts in the county as well as allow them to have a goal to work towards for the benefit of their students.

Ultimately, Janosz wants to promote the achievement because, as Senande added, “it is recognition of NVOT’s competency in digital learning.”