Baby, It’s Gold Inside

A look into NVOT’s first winter pep rally
Baby, It’s Gold Inside

The air was cold outside, but blue and gold blazed across the building.

On Monday, January 29, NVOT kicked off Golden Knights week with Golden Knights Day and the first ever winter pep rally. Seniors and juniors attended the pep rally in the North Gym, while freshmen and sophomores participated in Golden Knights Day activities in the South Gym.

The pep rally began with an introduction from Athletic Director Lorenzo Baratta and featured 10 of the winter sports teams, along with a dance performance from members of the All School Musical Production. 

Student Council traditionally hosts a pep rally for fall season sports in September, but after seeing the event’s success, they wanted to extend the opportunity to winter sports. 

“We believe a winter pep rally is a good way to kick off Golden Knights week for a raise in school spirit during these cold times,” Student Council Vice President Jiyoon Han said. “This also gives sports teams of all seasons an opportunity to represent and take pride in their hard work.”

This time of the year can be challenging for many students, and having a festive event like this allows us all to unite and bolster school spirit together.

— Heewon Kiim

Unlike the fall pep rally, the winter pep rally took place in the middle of the winter sports season. Still, many of the winter athletes felt positively about their sport being represented for the first time. 

Boys indoor track captain Jack Small said, “I think the winter pep rally was good for students to see who’s on the winter sports teams. Winter sports don’t get as much attention as fall or spring sports, and I think this brought winter sports into the spotlight, and allowed students to see what they would be supporting.

Girls indoor track captain Abigail Dennis shared Small’s sentiments: “I appreciated the recognition for winter sports teams. I’m so happy I got to share this moment with my team, especially being a senior. The surge of school spirit made my week.”

While the fall and winter sports seasons have been celebrated with pep rallies, one more season remains. Student Council is looking to host another pep rally in the spring. “We want to give all sports teams an opportunity to shine. As of now, we are leaning positively towards organizing one for the spring,” Han said.

Student Council President Heewon Kiim also sees the pep rally’s motivating quality.  “I hope to see this event endure and grow in the years to come even after our time here,” Kiim said. “This time of the year can be challenging for many students, and having a festive event like this allows us all to unite and bolster school spirit together.”

• A student gets her face painted by Student Council members ahead of the winter pep rally.

• Junior William Kwon dons gold face paint.

• Principal Dr. Timothy Gouraige and Assistant Principal Dr. Robert Hyman pose in their blue and gold necklaces.

• Juniors and seniors watch the pep rally from the bleachers.

• The marching band perform at the beginning of the pep rally.

• The winter guard pose together before the pep rally.

• The swim team wait to be called for the pep rally.

• The girls basketball team posing together.

• Girls winter track posing together before being called on for the pep rally.

• The boys basketball team stand together before getting called to the floor.

• Athletic Director Lorenzo Baratta delivers the pep rally opening remarks

• Jake Ellengold, dressed as the Golden Knight, makes his entrance

• The wrestling team takes the floor during the pep rally

• Members of the bowling team make their speeches.

• All School Musical Production cast members Liana Farah, Sophia Ashbahian, and Dylan Alcruz introduce the musical Cats before the dance performance

• Cats company members who performed a brief dance routine from the show during the pep rally

• Students play musical chairs after the pep rally

• Seniors and juniors go against each other in rounds of tug-of-war