The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan

The Lance

Filed under News, Showcase

GSA celebrates Day of Noise

Courtesy of NVOT's Facebook page

Courtesy of NVOT's Facebook page

When students strolled down “A” Hallway one Friday morning, celebratory rainbow streamers hanging on the ceiling and posters with the phrase “love is love” greeted them. To many students, it would have been normal April 21st, but to the Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA), it was the “Day of Noise”.

The club held their annual celebration of the LGBT community’s achievements, not only with decorations, but also with a pizza party and face painting.

“I think we had a lot of fun bringing attention to the day,” said GSA member and junior Michelle Buckley.

For clubs similar to NVOT’s GSA in other schools across the country, April 21st was known instead as the “Day of Silence.” For 12 hours, students observing the Day of Silence were supposed to remain completely silent in memory of those who suffered as a result of their sexual or gender identity.

But the GSA at NVOT is not the same as every other school. Senior and club president Megan Murphy said the choice to celebrate the Day of Noise was based on the idea that “calling attention to ourselves, celebrating and being loud and proud… is much more effective than sitting in silence.”

Buckley agrees, as the “positive” and “upbeat” attitude the club has throughout the day “does a much better job of communicating our club’s message.”

The purpose of the day, however, was multifaceted. Although the GSA celebrated all the strides the LGBT community has made, according to Murphy, it was also important to include “the people in the school who are LGBT… [to] let them know they have a group of people who will support them… and a family to be a part of.”

Although streamers, posters, and pizza parties can be rooted in pride or excitement, it is clear there is a deeper meaning to the Day of Noise that one might not realize at the surface. Murphy stated an important goal of both the day and the club is “to express ourselves and be open… [which] really communicates that it’s not that scary for people to truly be themselves.”

• GSA celebrates Day of Noise

News

Cameras, Food, and K-POP

• GSA celebrates Day of Noise

News

Student (Met)Life

• GSA celebrates Day of Noise

News

NVOT’s New Jumbotron

• GSA celebrates Day of Noise

News

New Year, New Clubs

• GSA celebrates Day of Noise

News

Marching Band Caps Off a Successful Season

• GSA celebrates Day of Noise

News

OT Goes Boo and Gold

• GSA celebrates Day of Noise

News

Student Council Gets Spooky

• GSA celebrates Day of Noise

News

Looking at the Bigger Picture

• GSA celebrates Day of Noise

News

New Laptops Fully Loaded at NVOT

• GSA celebrates Day of Noise

News

Mr. Rabelo to end his NVOT tenure this year

GSA celebrates Day of Noise