Registration for Representation

Student Council hosts a voter registration drive

Juniors+Caroline+Tharakan+and+Lizzie+Ognibene+run+the+voter+registration+booth+at+lunch.+

Charlie Dippolito

Juniors Caroline Tharakan and Lizzie Ognibene run the voter registration booth at lunch.

On Tuesday, October 11, and Thursday, October 13, Student Council held a voter registration booth at the main entrance to encourage eligible students to register ahead of the midterm elections on November 8. 

Student Council members also presented to Social Studies classes throughout the week to raise awareness for the upcoming election. “We learned during our presentations that not many students knew that you can pre-register at 17, so hosting the drive and doing these presentations was a way to get the word out. While youth voter turnout is known for being low, over 75% of 18-24-year olds who registered voted in the last presidential election, so if we can get more students to register, we can get more students to vote and participate in our democracy,” said Caroline Tharakan, who organized the drive. Members hope to register 17 and 18-year-old students before the deadline on October 18. 

As Student Council is the closest some students can come to voting if they’re ineligible for elections, it is important to club members to prepare the school for real-world elections. “We want to make it as easy as possible for anyone who is eligible to get involved and registered,” said Lydia Greco, Student Council advisor. 

Students can also register to vote online.