The Latest — Are recycling bins in?

November 28 to December 2

English Department
On Wednesday, November 30, 10 students have been chosen to move up to the final stages of Poetry Outloud; Dhriti Somas, Jake Ellengold, Violet Mckinley, Brooklyn Leagon, Michelle Tang, Yea-il Hwang, Ines Gamino, Liana Farah, Sydney Watson, and Seho Lee. These students will now begin meeting with coaches to understand and converse about their poems to prepare for the finals. “This year’s students are super brave because it is 3 years since our last in-person finals,” said Poetry Outloud Director, Mr. Train.

Math Department 
Starting next year at NVOT, the math department will be offering AP PreCalculus replacing PreCalculus honors. The college board has offered this course to high school students, and “Math teachers are currently working on revising the curriculum to align with the College Board course.” said math department advisor Ms. Vella.

SOPE
During this past month, the SOPE club had been working on giving out recycling bins to classrooms. According to Mr. Ahad, SOPE’s advisor, the SOPE club is trying to give recycling bins to teachers who want them and have class Monitors, who are students in the club. The SOPE club is currently struggling to make sure classrooms have both bins and class monitors but they should be done handing out bins by the end or beginning of next week.

EMS
Throughout the month of December, the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Club at NVOT is collecting new, unwrapped toys to donate to the Police Benevolent Association (PBA) Toy Drive. These toys will be sorted by members of the local PBAs and get shared with Military families, children’s hospitals, and local families in need for the holiday season.