News
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: 1. Amy Luby 2. Christina Foschino 3. Liv Connell T4. Walker Lynch T4: Heather Macrae T4. Zoe Kouridis
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: Liv Connell Wins Third Round
The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance’s Hot Takes 8

Ringing in the school year with our hottest takes

Hey guys, welcome back to everyone’s favorite part of The Lance: Hot Takes. I’m (Liv <3) back and ready to give my uncalled for opinions about anything and everything. This summer was absolutely exhausting not being able to give my not-backed-up-whatsoever-by-facts opinions about all things celebrity gossip. Also, I am beyond excited to welcome a new voice to the Hot Takes family, Gracie! Don’t miss Charlotte too much, she’ll stop by later this year. Without further ado, our hot takes:

Timothée Chalamet and Kylie Jenner

These two will definitely be one of this year’s hottest couples. Timothée Chalamet and Kylie Jenner have been seen together at numerous events, showing lots of PDA (almost too much…). This new couple was certainly unexpected, almost as unexpected as her older sis and Bad Bunny. We wouldn’t have pictured them ever having a romantic relationship, but now that they do…WE LIKE IT!!! Chalamet and Jenner were seen together at the Beyoncé concert and the US Open. (Hardddd launch. Can’t people just go on normal dates anymore?) At both events, the two were inseparable (hugging and kissing, just so much PDA). Although Jenner says they aren’t in a “committed relationship”, we hope they can pull through and stay together for at least the rest of 2023, for Stormie’s sake!

Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner Divorce

We all remember our favorite childhood boy band: The Jonas Brothers. Lead singer, Joe Jonas, has recently gone through a divorce with famous actress Sophie Turner. He’s single, ladies! (My inner child is screaming right now!!!) After a four year marriage and two kids, the pair is heading their separate ways–a whole ocean separating them! Turner sued Jonas over the return of their children to England, which is where she lives. Turner even accused Jonas of preventing their kids from leaving the US. Heartbreaking stuff really. Yet, the exes were able to find some common ground and agreed that their children will temporarily stay in New York. Even though we don’t know the details of the whole situation (shocking, right?), it is truly sad for both sides, so we just hope that their kids are okay through all of this!

Zach Bryan and Brianna Chickenfry

Two of the most popular people right now–in very different spaces–have come together to form yet another new couple. Country singer Zach Bryan and social media influencer Brianna Lapaglia, also known as Brianna Chickenfry, confirmed their relationship in late July on Lapaglia’s podcast. We are huge Bryan fans, so we were understandably skeptical of this relationship in the beginning. Us…and the rest of the internet. Lapaglia received millions of hate comments as both her and Bryan had just gotten out of relationships (Did they cheat? Did they not cheat? The world may never know). Bryan just released his self-titled album and let’s just say some of these songs are definitely not about his new boo. “I wish I didn’t, but I do remember every moment on the nights with you.” Imagine your boyfriend releasing that song about his ex-girlfriend. Ouch, that one’s gotta hurt Lapaglia!

Olivia Rodrigo’s new album

We’ve been waitin’ for this one–turn it up!!! Olivia Rodrigo dropped her sophomore album, GUTS, on September 8, and let’s just say that it’s everything we expected and more. The more: maturity and musical risks. Rodrigo is beginning to step out of her teenage heartbreak zone and entering her young adult comfort zone (we know, there’s a song called teenage dream on the album, but still….) GUTS is currently No. 1 on Billboard’s Chart, alongside the No. 1 track, vampire. This album has some of the most gut wrenching lyrics—“And we both drew blood, but, man, those cuts were never equal,” is this girl kidding?—mixed in with fun, dancing songs; perfect for a concert, right? Speaking of, Rodrigo announced the Guts World Tour, and we truly cannot wait to see her selling out arenas. We wish nothing but the best for this superstar, and will continue to stream all her songs (especially the grudge, that song just hits, ya know?).

Ariana Grande: Homewrecker??

We all know and love our pop culture Icon: Ariana Grande, whether it’s from her acting in Victorious or her very successful music career. Ever since her Positions album was released in 2020, Ariana Grande has been out of the spotlight (or at least I haven’t seen her). Although Grande is definitely getting back into the public eye after this scandal… It was announced that Grande will be starring in the long-awaited Wicked movie. It was known that she and co-star, Ethan Slater, had gotten very close while filming. But no one expected anything of it. Their affair was revealed to the world just a few weeks ago. A shock we didn’t know was coming. The worst part is that both Grande and Slater had spouses, each filing for divorce AFTER they were outed to the world (wow Ari). And to add the icing on the cake, Slater and his wife Lily Jay had a baby boy less than a year ago (how messed up is that??). Even though Grande and Slater’s romance “allegedly” started their romance before ending with their partners, we all know the truth. C’mon Ari, do better girl.

Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce

It’s safe to say the whole internet shattered this past Sunday. Two huge stars, Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce, DATING?!?! There was speculation that the two were allegedly seeing each other but it was never confirmed if they were actually “together”. But this past Sunday really cleared it up. Swift was seen at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, watching the Chiefs vs. Bears game, but we’re sure you saw this. It was quite literally impossible to scroll on Instagram or TikTok without seeing Swift at the game. And, it just kept getting better and better. Swift was seen in a suite with Kelce’s MOTHER. Kelce and Swift were even seen leaving the stadium together in a literal getaway car. If their relationship wasn’t confirmed before, it is now. We think Kelce and Swift are a perfect match. Even though these two come from totally different industries, they fit together. Finally, Swift isn’t with some emo musician (cough cough, Matty Healy), she’s with someone who’s actually willing to be seen in public with her (cough cough, Joe Alwyn). We hope to see more of them together in the future! But if they don’t last, we all know that Taylor will release a banger. #TeamTraylor4life

Thanks for reading our hot takes! We’ll be back soon, don’t worry!

XOXO,

Liv and Gracie