News
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: 1. Amy Luby 2. Christina Foschino 3. Liv Connell T4. Walker Lynch T4: Heather Macrae T4. Zoe Kouridis
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: Liv Connell Wins Third Round
The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Are You Ready For It?

The Lance’s Guide to Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour Movie

Many of us were having a ‘Cruel Summer’ after the North American leg of the Eras Tour came to an end in August, but Taylor Swift is bringing us her ‘flannel cure’ this weekend with the release of her self-produced Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour movie. 

The Eras Tour focuses on Swift’s Eras Tour, featuring highlights from three August SoFi Stadium shows in Inglewood, California. Its 168-minute runtime is abbreviated from the traditionally 3 hour show, but it’s still plenty packed with selections from Swift’s discography, so get your popcorn and favorite Taylor-inspired outfit ready to watch Swift’s movie in ‘Style.’

How Should I Prepare for the Movie?

Know Swift’s Songs
Be familiar with most of the songs Swift sings during her concerts. Having some idea of her most iconic lyrics will help you sing your heart out alongside other Swifties. Below is a list of all the songs Taylor plays broken down by era:

Be Aware of Ticket Prices
AMC is charging a standard fee of $19.89 for adults, an apparent reference to Swift’s fifth studio album 1989, released in 2014. Kids and senior tickets are priced at $13.13, a not-so-subtle nod to Swift’s lucky number 13. 

Make the Friendship Bracelets

After Swift sang the iconic lyrics “So make the friendship bracelets, take a moment and taste it,” in her song “You’re on You’re Own Kid,” it became a trend to make and trade friendship bracelets at her Eras Tour. There’s a high probability that fans of Swift will also create bracelets for the movie’s showings, so you may want to make some accessories of your own. And who knows—you may even make new Swiftie friends along the way!

Get in ‘Style’

It isn’t uncommon for fans of Swift to dress up as her different “eras”—outfits based on the themes of her albums. Swifties will likely continue this tradition for her upcoming film, so researching her most popular eras and their themes beforehand is not a  bad idea. Many even create outfits based on Swift’s lyrics or music videos. For example, her most recent era, “Midnights,” is often associated with sparkles, sequins, stars, cowboy boots, and more. You’ll definitely see this recurring theme throughout many outfits when watching the movie, so be on the lookout for any funny or witty references to her various works.

Prepare Some Tissues

Even if you’re not a huge fan of Swift, your heart will tell you otherwise when “that” song comes on. You’ll know when to take these tissues out when all of your fellow Swifites begin singing along with Taylor, most likely also balling their eyes out. From her joyful and upbringing songs to her breakup and heart-tugging songs, you’re definitely going to need to wipe your tears at least twice during the movie.

Additional Tips for Non-Swifties

Before sitting in the theater and watching the movie, you may want to take some time to prepare yourself to get the most out of Swift’s new film. Here is a list of things you can do to become a Swiftie: First things first, you should follow Swift on social media. Keeping updated with her new activities can help you engage as a fan and learn new things on the way. Secondly, listen to her discography. From staples like “Shake it Off” to her more underrated works like “Bye Bye Baby,” getting familiarized with Swift’s musical style can help you better understand the general vibe of what the movie will be about. Lastly, show your support. Purchasing merchandise or spreading news about Swift’s activities is a great way to get involved and show your pride in her music, and it helps to create new Swiftie friends.       

Bottom Line

By the end of the movie, you’ll be finding yourself slowly becoming obsessed with Swift, almost “All Too Well,” as many newer fans have. So, if you like Swift or want to become a Swiftie, you should see the movie in theaters on October 13.