News
  • February 28Cheer Team Wins State Championship On Saturday at Brookdale Community College
  • February 28Senior Layla Giordano Scores 1000th Point In Girls Basketball Win Over West Essex
The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

The Latest–Football Picks up First Loss, Volleyball Advances to County Semifinals, Tennis Reaches State Finals

Week of October 9 in Sports

Boys Soccer

The boys began the week with back to back 2-1 losses to Tenafly and Pascack Valley Tuesday and Thursday. Saturday, the team beat Waldwick 2-1 led by two goals from senior Kevin Contreras, including one in overtime. 

Cross Country

This Saturday, the Cross Country team went to Darlington County Park for the Bergen County Group Championships. The boys varsity team came in third as sophomore Benjamin Johnson placed fourth. The girls varsity team came in first place, with the top 5 on the team being Emme Fermin, Sophia Katechis, Maiumi Quiros, Rowan Leddy, and Claire Bailey.

Field Hockey

The field hockey team played Lakeland at home and Wayne Hills and West Milford away. Their first game at home resulted in a hard loss. They slightly came back in a game at Wayne Hills, eventually losing 5-2. The two goals were courtesy of juniors Annabelle Lee and Mia Ferraro, with an assist from Madison Kosmark. They played West Milford on Friday and lost 6-0. The team played their first semifinals county game in 8 years and lost to Northern Highlands.

Football

The team suffered its first loss Friday versus Ramapo by a score of 31-24. Senior Evan Brooks recorded two receiving touchdowns, junior Ronan Malady added another receiving touchdown, and kicker Nico Ottomanelli broke a school record with a 50-yard field goal. On defense, senior Michael Miceli recorded an Interception. 

Girls Soccer

On Tuesday, the girls lost 2-1 at home versus Pascack Valley, but Thursday defeated Tenafly 3-0. Freshman Caroline Ognibene, sophomore Taylor Chisholm, and senior Olivia Connell all recorded goals in Thursday’s win. 

Girls Tennis

Old Tappan girls tennis versed Montvale in the state tournament semifinals. It was a 5-0 win against a third seed town. OT is now heading to the finals, where they will play Demarest Wednesday, October 17.

Volleyball

Old Tappan volleyball had a clean sweep 4 games in a row against Tenafly, Paramus, Teaneck, and Pascack Hills with a final score of 2-0. Pascack Hills was a special game as it was the quarter-finals for the Bergen County Tournament.