News
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: 1. Amy Luby 2. Christina Foschino 3. Liv Connell T4. Walker Lynch T4: Heather Macrae T4. Zoe Kouridis
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: Liv Connell Wins Third Round
The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

The Top 10 Thanksgiving Foods

Ranked Worst to Best: the Foods The Lance is Thankful for this Thanksgiving

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, many families tend to overwhelm themselves as there may be a lot on their plates (both figuratively and literally). Americans usually grow up excited for the turkey, unique side dishes, and desserts, and with so much to choose from, it can be difficult to know what foods will actually make your family grateful. Therefore, The Lance ranked the best Thanksgiving foods so that you don’t need to go through the annual household chaos that goes on at this time of year.

10. Roasted Turkey
Although an iconic Thanksgiving food, turkey is an overrated dish that people only eat for tradition’s sake. It’s a “fowl” tasting centerpiece with its dry, overcooked, white slabs of meat, especially when compared to its more delicious alternatives like ham or chicken. Preparing your turkey with a brine and all sorts of random seasonings to fully cooking it is a tedious process in which your efforts give you the gift of tasteless protein. Therefore, we think that roasted turkey should be kicked out of the spotlight and into last place.

9. Gravy
Gravy is one of the most popular additions to any Thanksgiving dish and has to be on every table around the country, or else the holiday will not be complete. Even though the sauce is delicious, it’s very high in sodium and will increase your blood pressure. This is why we put gravy at #9 because it is harmful when eaten but in proper moderation, it shouldn’t have a massive effect on your health.

8. Sweet Potato Casserole
This cinnamony and creamy dessert may be a fan favorite, but compared to the countless other Thanksgiving classics, it fails to hold up. The dish tries too hard to establish its place on the dinner table, even often covering itself with overly sweet marshmallows as a sad attempt to appeal to dinner guests. Its other dessert counterparts, like pumpkin pie, steal this casserole’s spotlight, leaving it sad and lonely at place number eight.

7. Pecan Pie
Pecan Pie is another popular Thanksgiving dessert. It consists of pecan nuts, which are mixed with a filling of eggs, butter, and sugar. But, there is too much sugar and corn syrup in the dish. Although it might not be on the same level as pumpkin pie or apple pie, it’s still a great option for those with an intense sweet tooth, which is why we put pecan pie at #7.

6. Pumpkin Pie
Didn’t we leave pumpkins back in October? Nonetheless, pumpkin pie is a Thanksgiving and autumn staple—what would the holiday be without the rich combination of cinnamon, ginger, and a spiced custard filling paired with a delicious soft pie crust? However, most pumpkin pies are musty or cold and have a bland crust. Even with all of its glory, The Lance definitely prefers more of the hearty and savory side of Thanksgiving, placing this dessert at number six.

5. Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry sauce is usually a homemade sauce made of cranberries and boiled in sugar water.  It’s very sweet when eaten with the other Thanksgiving classics and is sure to put a smile on all your guests this holiday season. The sweet sauce is a great combination for turkey and is one of the few reasons it can be enjoyed without your mouth getting dry. It adds a very tasty, sweet flavor to any of your foods, and those who haven’t tried cranberry sauce should know that it makes for a “berry” good combo with your favorite dishes.

4. Ham
Ham makes for a perfect alternative to its dry, tasteless turkey counterpart. Its smoky flavor is often paired with a sweet brown sugar glaze and creates a perfect balance between sweet and savory. Ham is always a safe option, and you’ll be sure to have no leftovers. It works perfectly with other Thanksgiving classics like green beans, cranberry sauce, and more, making it a perfect part of your holiday meal.

3. Stuffing
Wow, all this talk about food sure is making us stuffed! Stuffing combines both soft and chewy texture elements, always satisfying its audience. Stuffing adds a variety of interesting flavors to your Thanksgiving plate, and it’s addicting taste is sure to leave you stuffed even when served with the main dishes.

2. Mashed Potatoes
If you think mashed potatoes deserve a rank any lower, you’re in for a root awakening. Its buttery, 
creamy, and savory combination melts in your mouth at first bite. It is a highly-ranked staple in many people’s minds and will continue to be a great option for tables nationwide. Furthermore, mashed potatoes are completely customizable; some may enjoy it for its most basic and creamy form, while others may enjoy a more unique and spiced-up version. No matter what, any combination of seasonings and ingredients will be a mash made in heaven.

1. Mac and Cheese
You feta not think anything could surpass the savory goodness of mac and cheese. It’s simply im-pasta-ble! Alright, we’ll stop with the cheesy jokes. Mac and cheese is the perfect combination of all the textures: it’s creamy, crispy, and soft—a recipe for perfection. It’s easy enough to make within an hour, and unlike turkey, which takes at least a couple of hours to make, it tastes im-mac-ulate. Overall, because of the uniqueness of mac and cheese alongside its very easy cooking process, the Lance chose to give mac and cheese the number one spot.
With this newfound wisdom of the best foods to pile on your plate, you’ll be sure to make the most out of this Thanksgiving. Gobble up your family’s passed-down mac and cheese recipe with a side of sweet, smoky ham – but be sure to leave out the most fowl dish, turkey, off your plate for good!