Fashion Student of the Month: Erin Cho

Fashion Student of the Month: Erin Cho

As we enter the new year, we’re delighted to revive our Fashion Student series, a showcase of diverse and dynamic styles and individuality and creativity within our student community. 

January’s Fashion Student of the Month is a senior whose style has transformed significantly over her years here: Erin Cho. 

Cho’s style journey began with casual, oversized tees during her freshman year, followed by a regrettable “emo kid” phase in her sophomore year. Her junior year brought a busier schedule, reflected in her choice of basic hoodies paired with leggings or jeans. In her senior year, her style evolved into what she fondly refers to as the “winter coquette” style, a look that exudes femininity with pink hues, pearls, bows, and gems. 

What Fashion Looks Like for Cho

Cho devotes her free time to exploring different makeup looks and outfit combinations, finding an avenue for self-expression through clothing. “Fashion to me is emotion, personality, and expression. It’s how you want the world and other people to see you inside and out,” Cho said.

Erin Cho’s winter coquette style (Sam Cruz)

Cho’s aesthetic has developed organically; she draws inspiration from platforms like Pinterest but attributes the evolution of her style to a natural, internal process. “Besides random inspirations from Pinterest, I don’t know if anyone or anything specifically inspired my aesthetic and fashion style. It sort of just happened on its own.”

Fashion is seen as an extroverted hobby, but Cho, as a more introverted individual, finds comfort in expressing herself through fashion, considering it a more accessible and enjoyable means of communication. “I am super introverted and usually keep to myself, and since I don’t express myself often through words, I find that expressing myself through fashion is much easier and besides, it’s much more fun.”

For Cho, a fashionable person has a distinct personality that shines through their clothing. Confidence and comfort are key, and the ability to remain unaffected by others’ opinions is a defining trait. “A fashionable person doesn’t copy someone else,” Cho said.”A fashionable person has a personality that stands out just as much as their clothing. They feel confident and comfortable, and they don’t care about what other people think of them.”

Fashion in Cho’s Future

Cho dons a pink and white outfit with her signature bows. (Courtesy of Erin Cho)

Fashion, to Cho, is a form of emotional expression and personality projection. “My dream is to become an elementary teacher

and a mom at some point in my life. I have always loved working with younger children and I always feel happy at the thought of dressing up my future child as well as my own home—I’d decorate my home similar to how I dress myself.” 

Cho envisions a future where she can combine her love for working with children with her joy in styling outfits for them, extending her unique style to her career and even home decor. She said, “My dream is to become an elementary teacher and a mom at some point in my life. I have always loved working with younger children and feel happy at the thought of dressing up my future child as well as my own home—I’d decorate my home similar to how I dress myself.”

Looking ahead, Cho hopes for the return of the winter fashion trend, embracing “pearl earmuffs, comfy scarves, cute cozy pajama pants, and puffy winter coats.” On the flip side, she hopes the trend of wearing sports shorts during cold weather fades away, particularly among freshmen, with the optimism that they eventually outgrow this style choice. She said, “I would like to see the winter fashion trend again.”