Flu season hits students-and attendance-hard

Since midterms, students have been talking about the flu floating around in school as absences have been significantly increasing.

Attendance has been spotty from January to February this year. Associate Secretary Ms. Barbara Solazzo said there were “100 absensences for the day (January 30) and on average there are 500 absences per week”, in comparison to the average of 10 students out per day during midterms. The majority of absences (95%) are due to students being sick and “the other 5% is for doctor appointments”, Ms. Solazzo stated.

According to the Mayo Clinic, symptoms of the flu may consist of muscle pain, dry throat, chills, dehydration, fatigue, and congestion. School Nurse Ms. Ferencevych added that a prime indicator of the flu is an “extreme and high fever”.  

It is important to take precautions to avoid the flu. Ferencevych believes that washing your hands “is the most important thing you can do.” Another preventative measure includes not sharing drinks because “sometimes people are unaware they are sick because they do not show symptoms yet.” However, the flu shot, which is updated yearly, is the main defense that provides immunity against a variety of flu viruses. Although “the flu shot is not a 100% guarantee you will not get the flu, it’s a good thing to do”, said Ferencevych.

Students are also taking the steps necessary to avoid getting sick. Sophomore Ciara Leddy, who rarely gets the flu, said, “I find eating healthy keeps me from getting sick. I also stay  stay in shape by going on runs.”

Although this flu season is hitting harder than previous years’ has, making a few key changes to your routine can keep you in school and in good health.