Debate team continues success

Since the beginning of the school year, the varsity debate team has won several awards, and this past tournament on Friday, November 18 at Bergenfield High School was no exception.

The varsity debate teams competed against Fair Lawn High School, Fort Lee High School, Bergenfield High School, and Northern Valley Regional High School at Demarest. Senior Amelia Antzoulatos and junior Jane Kim won second place team with a record of 4-0 and 102 team points. Antzoulatos also won the award for first place speaker with 71 speaker points. Junior Craig Schulman and senior Vishal Vijayakumar tied for second place speaker with 67 speaker points, and Kim won the award for third place speaker with 65 speaker points.

According to Antzoulatos, president of varsity debate, the team prepared for this tournament by “coming up with some arguments that we could use against them” during the meetings as an “opportunity for [the team members] to share what [they] knew and to brainstorm ideas for how to counter those arguments.”

The debate team has meetings once or twice a week, which helps them prepare for the tournaments. Varsity debate will be having their next tournament on December 7 at Dwight-Englewood School.