News
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: 1. Amy Luby 2. Christina Foschino 3. Liv Connell T4. Walker Lynch T4: Heather Macrae T4. Zoe Kouridis
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: Liv Connell Wins Third Round
The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Drumroll, Please…

The Golden Knights Marching Band takes first place at MetLife Stadium
Joseph S. Butz
Color guard performing routine

For the first time in NVOT history, the marching band won first place at the Ludwig Musser Classic competition at MetLife Stadium Saturday, October 8. 

The band scored 81.9 points out of 100 and took home awards for Best Music, Best Overall Effects, and Best Percussion. Saturday’s competition marked the band’s second competition—and win—in a new competition class and new routine Cathedral. After winning Nationals in the AA Class with their Kusama Routine last season, the band was promoted to the higher-ranking Open Class. According to Band director Amy Wilcox, the key change was the level of scrutiny: “It’s like the difference between a rubric in a CPE class to an AP class.” 

For members, the promotion came with pressure to both live up to last season’s record and remain competitive under stricter judging standards. “It’s a bit stressful because this year is at a higher level than last year, and we must be very professional and make the audience not regret watching our performance,” color guard captain Hui Mei Landau said.

On the other hand, Wilcox says, “I’m a firm believer that it’s not pressure, it’s more excitement,” adding that judges believed they “were basically performing at an Open Class level.”

Color Guard director Trish O’Shea agreed: “We’ve been really working on advancing our skill level so we can be competitive in the new class.”

The band will compete next at Northern Highlands Regional High School Saturday, October 14.