News
  • February 28Cheer Team Wins State Championship On Saturday at Brookdale Community College
  • February 28Senior Layla Giordano Scores 1000th Point In Girls Basketball Win Over West Essex
The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

The Most Romantic TV Couples

Exploring the TV couples that stole our hearts
Courtesy of People Magazine
Courtesy of People Magazine

We all know how people love TV shows. Watching them is a time where they can relax and enjoy some entertainment. They get emotionally invested in the relationships and build connections with the characters. With that in mind, here is my definitive ranking of the top five most romantic TV couples of all time:

5). Jesse and Becky, Full House

Jesse and Becky were the quintessential 90s TV couple. They had a strong and long-lasting relationship. These two characters first started spending time together in Season 2, with the plan to just stay friends even though they had romantic feelings for each other. This all changed when these two finally confessed their affection for each other. Jesse proposed to Becky twice in the show, and they eventually got married and had twin boys. Their chemistry made the show 10x better. Lastly, Jesse and Becky were big on family values and their involvement in the Tanner girls’ lives. 

4). Damon and Elena, The Vampire Diaries

I love, love, love this couple because Damon’s character development, the way he changed for Elena, and their forbidden love adds so much to the plot of the show. After years of buildup, Damon and Elena were an official couple in season 5. They were a big scandal and very controversial because Elena dated Damon’s brother, Stefan Salvatore. However, that didn’t matter to Damon and Elena and their love became undeniable. Overall, this couple is ranked #4 because of Damon’s personality towards Elena: treating her with loyalty, protectiveness, and care. 

3). Nathan and Haley, One Tree Hill 

I ranked this couple #3 on the romantic scale because their love was so incredibly intense. Nathan Scott and Haley James on the show One Tree Hill first started as a high school relationship. Nathan was a star basketball player, but Haley was a complete nerd known as “tutor girl.” These two were so different; Nathan was the big all-time athlete, but Haley was the innocent goody-two shoes. The contrast between the two characters was the reason why their love was so strong. Towards the end of the show, the couple had a falling out when Nathan deals with depression, alcoholism, and the loss of his mother, but the two stay together even through all the hardships. 

2). Ross and Rachel, Friends

This couple is ranked #2 because even as teenagers, Ross adored Rachel. He encouraged her to be her best self and their love was forever. Ross Gellar and Rachel Green were an iconic sitcom couple. Their funny memories, like Ross accidentally saying Rachel’s name instead of his fiance’s at the altar or the classic “we were on a break” debate. By the end of the show, Ross and Rachel had a baby named Emma, and it’s assumed they got married at some point, bringing a happy end to their complicated relationship. Rachel even ended up giving up her dream job in Paris to be with Ross. This is such a good couple due to how Ross and Rachel went from friends to lovers. Additionally, the on-again, off-again dynamic which added to so many memorable moments to the show. Were Ross and Rachel on a break?!

1). Blair and Chuck, Gossip Girl:

One word… ENDGAME. Since the beginning of the show, socialite and billionaire Chuck Bass always had his eyes set on Queen B, the most popular girl on the Upper East Side. This love affair was toxic and manipulative. This is definitely not the healthiest relationship, however, this couple had unconditional love for each other. Their ups and downs made them perfect and compatible together. They were complex characters and they both were associated with a glamorous lifestyle. Fashion, drama, and tension were huge factores in Blair and Chuck’s relationship. In conclusion, the iconic Blair and Chuck deserve to be ranked #1.