News
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: 1. Amy Luby 2. Christina Foschino 3. Liv Connell T4. Walker Lynch T4: Heather Macrae T4. Zoe Kouridis
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: Liv Connell Wins Third Round
The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Is Valentine’s Day Overrated?

The Lance’s Take on the Day of Romance
Art by Dylan Woo

That time of year has come around again where everyone scrambles for a date for the sole purpose of showing them off on their Instagram stories. All jokes aside, Valentine’s Day is a day when we show our affection and care for one another through chocolates and flowers. However, should we continue to celebrate and express our love through this holiday, or is it now a corporate-run one devoid of love?

Single people are often the biggest haters of the day and for obvious reasons. They have to see couples all lovey-dovey, pecking each other on the lips and posting each other on their feeds. They don’t get to receive a bouquet of roses or a specially-curated box of chocolates and instead have to rot in their beds without a special person as they scroll through Instagram filled with pictures of adorable couples. For them, this holiday is not a day of celebration but more so a day of envy and self-pity. If almost half of young adults cannot celebrate this holiday, why do we put such a great emphasis on it? It may be time to bury this unnecessary holiday in the past.

On the contrary, if you are one of the lucky few with your other-half, congrats! Just be sure to break your wallet getting chocolates, plushies, flowers, and anything else your partner likes. Chocolates and flowers are just the tip of the iceberg, however. When January ends and February begins, companies immediately bombard you with advertisements begging you to buy their newest necklace, ring, perfume, and other expensive gifts. In this economy? No way.

Valentine’s Day is just a stressful day just hidden by flowers and candy topped off with a pink bow. There are 364 days in a year, and Valentine’s Day should not be the only day we express love for each other. After all, no one wants a day filled with hearing cheesy pick-up lines and watching couples munch on their overpriced boxes of chocolate. From my perspective, Valentine’s Day is a holiday that is slowly becoming built upon money and becoming discriminatory towards us single people. I may be biased as a fellow single-club member, but this holiday is definitely overrated and should be stashed away in the depths of everyone’s broken hearts.