News
The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Softball Wins Five In A Row, Track Competes at Penn Relays, and Girls Lacrosse Wins Two In A Row

via nvot_track on twitter

Baseball: On Tuesday, the boys lost 8-3 to Pascack Valley. However, they beat Pascack Valley 4-0 the next day. Senior Richard Gutschmidt pitched five scoreless innings with seven strikeouts before junior Kai Ross pitched two scoreless innings himself. On Friday, the team lost 14-3 to Don Bosco. On Saturday, the boys defeated Dwight-Englewood 14-2 behind five innings pitched and two earned runs allowed by freshman David Brennan. Senior Mike Kim hit a home run as did sophomore Anthony Onenembo, who hit a home run and recorded five RBIs.

Boys Golf: On Monday, the team lost to Tenafly 160-173 before losing to River Dell 178-179 on Tuesday, and Wednesday to Northern Highlands 153-157. Then, on Thursday, the boys defeated 152-177 after freshman James Ko shot 36, and seniors Jun Chun and Michael Buckley shot 37. Friday, the team won 162-228 versus Paramus Catholic to cap off the week. 

Boys Lacrosse: Monday, the boys lost 10-3 to Paramus and then lost to Demarest 7-6 on Thursday. Freshman Nick Blanchard scored three goals in Thursday’s loss. 

Girls Lacrosse: On Thursday, the girls defeated Indian Hills 15-5. Senior Ally Sheldon scored six goals and sophomore Mia Derrico scored five. On Saturday, the team beat Wayne Valley 9-5 behind five goals from Sheldon and three goals from Derrico. 

Softball: On Monday, the girls beat Demarest 10-0. Tuesday, the team beat Teaneck 16-1 behind two hits and four RBIs from sophomore Sophia Savino. On Wednesday, the girls beat Teaneck again, 12-0, after Savino recorded three RBIs for a second straight game. Friday, in the first round of the Bergen County Tournament, the team picked up a 6-1 win over Becton. Junior Jamie Farrington pitched seven innings with no earned runs allowed and senior Averi Galioto had four RBIs. Saturday, they defeated Becton again, 11-1, after five innings pitched with 1 run allowed by freshman Erin Huelster. 

Track & Field: The team competed in the Penn Relays from April 25 to April 27. Senior Layla Giordano won the discus event with a season-best throw of 167’10”. The relay team of Abby Dennis, Angie Kelly, Emmie Fermin, and Nora Lee also won their 4×400 with a 4:04 time.

Boys Tennis: On Tuesday, the boys defeated Bergenfield 5-0. Junior Kiran Gurunathan, senior Noah Kim, and senior Joe Hwang all won their singles matches. Seniors Peter Setrakian and Owen Young won their doubles match as well as junior Willam Kwon and Matthew Klapowitz. 

Boys Volleyball: On Wednesday, April 24, the boys played West Milford and beat them in two sets. Then on Saturday, they played in the Hackensack tournament where they made it to the semi finals. In the tournament, they beat Harrison, Hoboken, and Hackensack JV before losing to Bergenfield and then to Hackensack varsity in semifinals.