OT’s Take on Going Virtual

Administration announced that for the next two weeks, classes will be online

Olivia Genco

Students will now be taking classes online.

Due to growing concerns about the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), on March 12, 2020 NVOT school administration announced that for the next two weeks The Northern Valley District will be closing down and turning to online schooling. Although there are no confirmed cases of the coronavirus in Northern Valley, online schooling was instituted as a preventative measure.

Here are some students’ and staff members’ thoughts about going virtual:

• Junior Cora Hope: “I think it could be helpful for us for college, but I think there definitely needs to be more structure with what we are doing right now. Everything is up in the air and it’s allowing students the opportunity to commit academic fraud and not necessarily learn all that much. I think more structure would be good, but we’ll see how everything plays out.”

• Freshman Ally Manteiga: “I’m a little scared because it’s different than what I’m used to, but I think it’ll be fine. I think I’ll do better, not so much about my grades, but more so because I can work on my own time and have more freedom.”

• Senior Sanay Doshi: “I’m rather pleased, but slightly concerned considering we don’t really know too much considering how long we’re going to be out. It’s going to be interesting to see how online learning works because it’s the future of learning. I think we’ll see how it goes but it does kind of suck, especially as a senior.”

• Facility Aid Jim Thompson: “I believe it’s a very serious issue, and I believe they’re doing the right thing by shutting down the school. Hopefully it works out by the end of the two weeks.”

• Freshman Theresa Pak: “I think this is a great opportunity to realize how fortunate we are that we had the ability to be in a physical public school, since we are now going to be online.”

• Sophomore Casey Symons: “I feel that it isn’t the best course of action for our learning. I feel like we’re safer in school, but I will take the days off.”

• History teacher Robert Ortiz: “I think that I am capable of overcoming all obstacles. I am hopeful that we return to school soon and that everyone gets through this safely and healthily.”

• Junior Shpresa Koci: “I’m excited to sleep in and stay home, but online school kind of just feels like having homework over break.”

• Senior Kelly Unanue: “I’m kind of fine being home from school, but I feel like there are going to be so many complications with being online. Something’s bound to go wrong. I’m also really sad because it’s like saying ‘goodbye’ to senior year.”

• Freshman Himsam Park: “Going online, I think that it’s a good thing to keep us safe because what else can we do? It’ll be hard, but there isn’t anything else we could do.”

• Sophomore Helene George: “I am honestly very happy about going online. It will give me more time to focus on assignments and also do other things in my life. School takes up a good amount of my day and but I tend to be distracted by other things, like my job and sports. This is going to help me manage my time.”

• Senior Bella Ferraro: “I feel safer about it. I would rather be home than in this school with a bunch of people who could potentially get sick. It makes me a little scared, and it makes the situation more real because before our school closed when other schools closed it was just some sickness.”

• Math Teacher Thomas Quinn: “First and foremost, I am hopeful that everyone remains safe while we are away from school. There is some optimism that this will work, provided that both students and staff make an effort to make it work. I think that we will.”

• Sophomore Cara Hliboki: “I think that it’s a good way to prevent coronavirus from spreading in the school and that it’s a good precautionary measure, and it would give me a chance to catch up on sleep and work at my own space.”

• Senior Max Giannantonio: “Although I’d much rather be in school, I know it’s what has to be done. I feel like we are more prepared than a lot of other schools and districts. The online schooling, although it’s going to be a little tricky to do what we do in a normal school day, I feel like we’ll be fine. Hopefully it’s not for too long.”

• Junior Sofia Cruz: “I’m kind of scared about going to school online. I’m not that mad, but I’m upset that I can’t talk to my teachers one on one. It’s stressful and a lot to take in. It’s both good and bad, so I don’t really know how to feel.”