NVOT Announces Virtual Learning Through 11/18

After the small outbreak, school goes virtual to protect students and staff from COVID-19.

In an email sent to the NVRHS community, Superintendent James Santana announced that NVOT will hold all classes virtually until November 18 after several students tested positive for COVID-19. 

After the school used the fully-virtual school day on November 11 to contract trace, they were able to notify those who had come in contact with the two recently positive individuals. Following CDC guidelines, only people who tested positive and those exposed to the virus need to quarantine for 14 days. 

Students exposed to the virus have been notified individually by the school. 

The school emphasizes that there was no transmission of the virus on school grounds. Through the school’s investigations and close help from the NJDOH, they found that “students have been participating in large group social activities” without following guidelines, which is the main cause of transmission among teenagers. Further, the school district asks students to abide by safety guidelines and expresses that these gatherings work against their efforts to keep community safety a priority. 

After meeting with local health offices and other officials, the administration concluded that all classes will be remote through November 18 as a precautionary measure to keep students and staff safe. 

The new Phase 2 schedule enacted on 11/9 will still be in place, except all classes will meet virtually via Zoom. 

All in-person co-curricular activities have been canceled now through November 18. Respective advisors and coaches will address rescheduled events. Additionally, varsity teams will be allowed to participate in post-season events; non-varsity teams are suspended from their sports through the 18th. More information on NJSIAA safety guidelines can be found here

For the safety of the school community, CDC and NJDOH guidelines are to be followed at all times: 

• Stay home when you are feeling sick. 
  • Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. 
  • Cover your coughs and sneezes with tissues or coverings. 
  • Limiting contact with people who are sick. 
  • Not sharing food, utensils, and drinks with others, especially those who are sick. 
  • Practice social distancing (six-feet distance from others). 
  • Wear face coverings. 
  • Continue to monitor your health for symptoms and notify the school nurse if you become symptomatic. 

The school emphasizes how important it is to follow these guidelines and help keep our community safe.