News
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: 1. Amy Luby 2. Christina Foschino 3. Liv Connell T4. Walker Lynch T4: Heather Macrae T4. Zoe Kouridis
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: Liv Connell Wins Third Round
The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

The Latest–Field Hockey and Volleyball advance to semis, Football stays undefeated, Cross Country continues their success

Week of October 2 in Sports

Boys Soccer

The boys started off the week well with a 6-0 win over Bergenfield on Monday followed by a 1-0 win over Glen Rock on Thursday in the second round of the county tournament. Senior Kevin Conteras scored the teams’ only goal in Thursday’s win. Sunday, the team fell to Ramapo 1-0 in the quarterfinals of the county tournament. 

Cross Country

At League Championships the freshmen, JV, and Varsity all placed first for the girls. The top five runners were Rowan Leddy, Emme Fermin, Sophia Katechis, Maiumi Quiros, and Claire Bailey. Alexa Zeccardi was the top finisher in the freshmen race. Both boys JV and Varsity finished ninth.

Field Hockey

NVOT Field Hockey had 1 away game and 2 home games this week against Pompton Lakes, PCTI, and Butler. They fell 5-0 to Pompton Lakes this week, with a defensive save from Zara Bennet and 11 shots saved by goalie Muskan Patwa. They lost to Butler at home on Friday, aside from a great effort on defense. Captain Zoe Clarke scored a goal in the game against PCTI. Juniors Mia Ferraro and Annabelle Lee helped their team with 2 goals from Mia and an assist from Annie. The team also won their first county quarterfinal game against IHA, and Coach Amanda McCarthy couldn’t be prouder.

Football

The team got a 47-0 win on Thursday night against Paterson Eastside. Junior Nick Rossi had two rushing touchdowns, Quarterback Alex Orrechio had a rushing touchdown, while senior Mike Micelli and Ronan Malady each caught touchdowns as well. Senior Nico Ottomanelli also knocked in two field goals. 

Girls Soccer

The girls started off the week with a 3-0 win over Bergenfield on Monday. Then, they beat Waldwick in the first round of the county tournament on Thursday by a score of 2-1. Junior Nicole Klapowitz and sophomore Taylor Chisolm scored the team’s goals. Sunday, the girls lost to Ridgewood 3-0 in the quarterfinals of the county tournament. 

Girls Tennis

The girls tennis team competed against Mahwah in the states tournament on Tuesday, October 10th. They secured the win 4-1 meaning they advance to the second round of the tournament which will be played on Thursday, October 12.

Volleyball

Varsity volleyball won against Bergenfield on October 2, and Pascack Valley on October 4. Both games resulted with a score of 2-0. On October 7, volleyball ended with a win against Tenafly home at NVOT with a score of 2-0 for the Bergen County Tournament quarter-finals.m