News
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: 1. Amy Luby 2. Christina Foschino 3. Liv Connell T4. Walker Lynch T4: Heather Macrae T4. Zoe Kouridis
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: Liv Connell Wins Third Round
The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

The Latest—Debate, Guidance Department, Performing Arts, and Student Council

This week in School: October 9 to 16
Courtesy of Katie Gallagher
The varsity debate team after competing at Fort Lee

Debate Team

The varsity debate team attended its first competition of the season Friday, October 13 at Fort Lee High School. The team took home awards in both judging and debating categories with seniors Rachel Choi and Dhriti Somas winning best judge and second place speaker, respectively.

Guidance Department

The guidance department will kick off its first virtual Parent Speaker Series event October 17, at 6 p.m. The event titled “Effective Communication With Your Teen” will be led by Caldwell University graduate professor of psychology and counseling Connor Wills. Registration for the event is available over email.

Marching Band

Due to rain, the marching band did not compete at the Northern Highlands Regional High School competition scheduled for Saturday, October 14. According to marching band director Amy Wilcox, the band withdrew for the safety of students, as their performance heavily involves technology. 

Performing Arts Department

For the rest of October, the performing arts department will be selling citrus fruits from Florida Indian River Groves as part of its annual citrus fruit fundraiser. Fruit will arrive before Thanksgiving and can be purchased by filling out an online order form or by contacting department members.

Student Council

On Friday, October 13, Student Council concluded its breast cancer awareness t-shirt fundraiser, ultimately raising $500.00 for the Susan G. Komen Foundation. Members of student council decorated and set up a table in the C-hallway to promote the fundraiser.