News
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: 1. Amy Luby 2. Christina Foschino 3. Liv Connell T4. Walker Lynch T4: Heather Macrae T4. Zoe Kouridis
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: Liv Connell Wins Third Round
The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Fantasy Week 9

Same People, Same Great Advice
Sophie Atalla

Welcome back to Week 9 of Keeping it Real with Fantasy! The trade deadline has arrived and passed, and teams are generally stuck with the rosters they have going into week 9. With that, standings are really starting to shape up in the NFL and in fantasy leagues. The Jets and Giants Battle for New York certainly did not disappoint (unless of course, you had ANY expectations at all). It was arguably the worst game almost anyone has ever watched with 24 total points and a 13-10 OT win for the Jets. The Giants totaled a net -9 passing yards, a historically embarrassing accomplishment.

News/Injuries:

Darren Waller (TE) – Darren Waller has been a solid target for Giants quarterbacks all year. However, Waller suffered a hamstring injury in the 13-10 loss to the cross-town rival Jets on Sunday. Waller is expected to miss at least 2 weeks with his injury.

Kirk Cousins (QB) – The Vikings quarterback, who has been arguably a top 10 quarterback this year, suffered a brutal torn achilles in the 24-10 win against the Packers. Cousins will sit out the rest of the year in hopes of returning next year.

Giants Quarterbacks  – With Daniel Jones out, Tyrod Taylor got the start on Sunday against the Jets. Unfortunately for New York, he is now also injured as he left the game early with a rib injury. The Giants are now down to Danny DeVito, the New Jersey native, to be their savior until Jones comes back. Luckily for them, it appears could be making his return this week.

Starts:

Zay Flowers (WR) – The Ravens receiver has had ups and downs the whole year. Last week, he had a quiet game with only 5 receptions for 19 yards. This week against the Seahawks, he is due for a big game. The connection between him and Lamar Jackson is growing and it will be on full display this game.

Breece Hall (RB) – The Jets running back has been amazing in almost every game with his all-purpose yards. This week against the Chargers, he looks to put on a show in primetime and help the Jets continue their winning streak. Look for Hall to have a big game with lots of carries and receptions.

Sits:

Keenan Allen (WR) – Keenan Allen has been the Chargers leading receiver this season. He has been Herbert’s favorite target this season. This week, the Chargers face the Jets on Monday Night in New York. Last week, the Jets’ defense held the Giants to -9 passing yards. Sauce Gardner and DJ Reed are both back from injury and look to force the Chargers to use more of their rushing game.

Tony Pollard (RB) – Tony Pollard has been a great option for the Cowboys offense the whole year. This week, the Cowboys face the Eagles. Philadelphia has arguably one of the best-run defenses in the entire league. Pollard will struggle to get past the big defensive front and won’t be getting many touches or yards.

Waiver Wire:

Jayden Reed (WR) – Jayden Reed has flown under the radar this year while putting up solid numbers. He is the Packers’ leading receiver and one of Jordan Love’s favorite targets. Look for him to rack up many receptions and a lot of yards the rest of the year. 

Dameon Pierce (RB) – Dameon Pierce has fluctuated the whole year with some big games and some quiet games. As he starts to find his groove, look for the Texans to be using him a lot as they still have hopes for the playoffs.

Gus Edwards (RB) – Gus Edwards had a huge game last week, putting up 80 rushing yards and 3 touchdowns. With J.K. Dobbins out, the Ravens love to use Edwards in many situations. He will definitely have a couple more big games this season and you definitely want that for your team.