News
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: 1. Amy Luby 2. Christina Foschino 3. Liv Connell T4. Walker Lynch T4: Heather Macrae T4. Zoe Kouridis
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: Liv Connell Wins Third Round
The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Serving Up Success

Landeck earns 500th win
Nicole Cole
Coach Landeck during her 500th victory game

As the buzzer went off after the last set of the October 19 game against Northern Highlands, Volleyball coach Melissa Landeck achieved something most high school coaches don’t get to experience: she picked up her 500th career win. 

Although Landeck was aware she was one win away from a milestone, her focus remained solely on her team, making sure they were ready for the crucial game, the Bergen County tournament semi-final. Yet, as Landeck approached this historic achievement, “It was something only I knew going into the game. I did not want it to be a distraction for my team. The focus is always about them,” Landeck said.

Following the game, Landeck told coach Kelly Brogan who then told the girls about Landeck’s accomplishment. “I was super happy for Coach. 500 wins is a huge deal for her and our team, and we couldn’t be prouder,” said junior Addison Gioffre. 

Across her 25-year career as volleyball coach, Landeck has led the team to four Bergen County Tournament victories and nine sectional championships, and the team hopes to gain another sectional championship victory this season as the girls will play Northern Valley Demarest in the semifinal state round Friday, November 3. 

In many ways, Landeck’s focus on the players and selflessness had contributed greatly to the girls’ mindset and confidence and reflects on how she carries her team every day: “I always admired my coaches and was grateful for the impact they had on me. I wanted to pay it forward,” Landeck said.