News
  • June 10Senior Layla Giordano Breaks Group 3 Meet Record in Shot Put
  • June 10Senior Abigail Dennis Breaks Bergen County 400h Record
The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Boys Tennis Wins Fourteenth Consecutive Match, Softball Wins Two in a Row, and Track Hosts County Relays

via NVOT_track on twitter

Baseball: On Monday, the team lost to Bergenfield 6-1. Then, on Wednesday, in the Bergen County tournament Round of 16, the boys were eliminated after losing to Indian Hills 13-3. Sophomore Anthony Onnembo had two hits and an RBI. Thursday, the team lost to Bergenfield again 7-3. Sophomore Max Garcia had two hits and two RBIs. 

Boys Golf: On Monday, the team placed fifth in the group 2, section 1 tournament with an overall score of 345. Senior Jun Chun individually placed second with a score of 75, and senior Michael Buckley placed seventh with a score of 81. 

Boys Lacrosse: Tuesday, the boys defeated Boonton 7-6. Junior Stas Venetsanos scored two goals as did junior Ronan Malady. On Wednesday, the team lost 5-3 to Indian Hills and Saturday they lost to North Hunterdon 11-3. 

Girls Lacrosse: On Tuesday, in the Bergen County Consolation Tournament Quarterfinal round, the girls defeated Holy Angels 9-5. Senior Ally Sheldon had four goals in the win. Then, on Thursday, the girls lost to Ramsey 7-6 in the Semifinal round. Sophomore Mia Derrico and junior Annie Lee each had two goals in the loss. 

Softball: Monday, the girls defeated Tenafly 19-1. Junior Amelia Plescia had three hits, five RBIs, and a walk. Also, senior Lizzie Ognibene had two hits, three RBIs, and a walk in Monday’s win. On Wednesday, the team beat Northern Highlands 7-2. Senior Grayson Housley had three hits, a home run, and two RBIs. Junior Mia Ferraro also hit a home run in the team’s win over Northern Highlands. 

Track & Field: On May 10, the team competed in the county championship. The girls team won the Bergen County Division B Championship. Senior Abby Dennis finished first in the girls’ 100M hurdles and 400M hurdles. Senior Layla Giordano finished first in girls’ Shot Put and Discus while senior Jack Small placed first in boys’ shot put. 

Boys Tennis: Monday, the team defeated Fort Lee 4-1, Tuesday, the boys defeated Bergenfield 5-0, and Wednesday they beat Demarest 5-0. Junior Kiran Gurunathan, senior Noah Kim, seniors Joseph Hwang and Owen Young, junior William Kwon, and senior Peter Setrakian won every match this week. 

Boys Volleyball: On Monday, the boys volleyball team beat Don Bosco in two sets and did the same against Bergen Catholic on Wednesday. Thursday, they lost in two sets to Bergenfield. Friday, they concluded the week with a loss to Fair Lawn in the quarterfinals of the county tournament.