Welcoming New Knights

Northern Valley welcomes seven new staff members.

A new school year means new faces, but that doesn’t only mean freshmen. As the 2022-2023 school year begins, the NVOT community welcomes our newest staff members.  

Nurse: Lauren Lopez

Nurse Lauren Lopez, who took over for Nurse Virginia Ferencevych, joined the NVOT community after working as an ICU nurse for several years. But Lopez isn’t new to the Northern Valley, as her mother was the district’s first paraprofessional and worked in the district for 20 years. Hoping to be both a medical and knowledgeable resource for students, Lopez’s vision for the health office goes farther than medical help. Her love for teaching and medicine inspired her to share this knowledge with students.  “[I] hope to one day start either a newsletter or health club for students,” she said.

Athletic Director: Lorenzo Baratta

Assuming the position of athletic director, Lorenzo Baratta’s goal is to “ help continue [Tom Kaechele’s] successes” in the athletic department. Barratta hopes to ensure athletes intending to pursue athletics “feel comfortable coming into our office. We will be more than happy to help them explore their options.” Supporting the students and staff is Baratta’s “number one goal.”

Special Education Teacher: Keri Collarini

Keri Collarini joins Northern Valley as its newest special education teacher, having previously taught in Runnemede and Secaucus. Collarini teaches in the Student Transitional Education Program Services (STEP) program, taking on four different subjects: English, Math, History, and 21st Century Business Applications. In her 8th year of teaching, she hopes to “contribute to the positive school climate and help [her] students be successful.” 

Italian Teacher: James Goetschius

NVOT alumnus James Goetschius returns to the halls that “helped [him] find [his] passion for the Italian language and culture.” Goetschius has taught Italian at Lenape High School for six years, but jumped at the opportunity to return to NVOT when the opening became available. He wants to share his passions for the Italian language, as well as the “power and joy that comes with knowing another language.” 

Woods and Architecture Teacher: Robert Wetzel

Four days after he graduated from TCNJ, Woods and Architecture teacher Robert Wetzel began his teaching career at NVOT. “I just sent an application, got approved, came in for a demo lesson, and just loved the whole area.” Wetzel hopes to create a simultaneously disciplined and fun environment in the classroom for students. 

Physical Education and Driver Education Teacher: Maia Levenshus 

After graduating from NVOT in 2016, phys ed teacher Maia Levenshus came back to her alma mater to “give back to the community that gave to [her].” Levenshus will return to teach both phys ed and driver ed. Levenshus wants to change the game in phys ed and students’ perceptions of athletics. “Any student can be interested in sports, they don’t have to be an athlete,” she said. “I want students to understand that fitness and athletics are lifelong passions.” 

School Psychologist: Kai Williams 

Kai Williams wants to “support the needs of all students not only academically but also socially and emotionally” as he takes on the role of the school psychologist. Williams came to NVOT after researching all the districts in Bergen county: “I’m excited to join a team of talented and dedicated educators who foster learning, independence, and citizenship.”