News
  • February 28Cheer Team Wins State Championship On Saturday at Brookdale Community College
  • February 28Senior Layla Giordano Scores 1000th Point In Girls Basketball Win Over West Essex
The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

2024’s Coquette Storm

An inside look on 2024’s newest trend.
Art by Violet Oster

Just a couple of months ago, we have never even heard of the word “coquette”, but now it is a phenomenon that has taken the internet by storm. In the dictionary, coquette is used as a noun meaning a girl who flirts, but now people use it as an adjective. 

“Your outfit is so coquette!”

Someone who is coquette has a very girly style, mostly using light colors such as pink and white; lace, ribbon, bows, and hearts are also all a part of the coquette look. The aesthetic is not just looks, though, the aesthetic is about embracing all things romantic. The trend came around just in time for Valentine’s Day. 

Art by Violet Oster

A celebrity that is associated with the coquette aesthetic is Lana Del Rey. Her style is deeply influenced by coquette, with lace and bows. On TikTok, her music blew up with people showcasing their new-found love for the coquette lifestyle. 

Another example of coquette in pop culture is the Netflix famous show, Bridgerton. The overall vibe of the show is romantic and whimsical, exactly like the coquette aesthetic. Even though the show was made before coquette was a mainstream trend, it still has the elements that the aesthetic consists of.  

Not just regular people are picking up on the coquette trend, but celebrities as well. Over the past couple of months, red carpets and paparazzi pictures have been adorned with coquette bows and lace. 

Art by Violet Oster

Coquette was one of 2023 biggest trends and continued growing through the start of 2024. People on the internet are comparing the coquette bow to how popular the mustache was in 2016. The trend is definitely at its peak right now, with Valentine’s Day just around the corner. So make sure that your valentines are covered with the prettiest pink and lace to show off the newest trend. And feel free to add a bow to your hair.

So make sure that your valentines are covered with the prettiest pink and lace to show off the newest trend. And feel free to add a bow to your hair.