News
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: 1. Amy Luby 2. Christina Foschino 3. Liv Connell T4. Walker Lynch T4: Heather Macrae T4. Zoe Kouridis
  • April 3The Lance Bracket Standings: Liv Connell Wins Third Round
The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

March Madness Week 2 Roundup

Recapping the second week of action in The Lance’s bracket challenge

And then there were five… March Madness Week 2 concludes with only five brackets left in contention to win it all. We’ve got an additional winner, Mrs. Luby, on top of Olivia Connell’s second win of the challenge. “I was surprised I won again because I know a few of my top picks got knocked out,” Connell said. She believes “some of [her] underrated picks worked out.”

Mrs. Luby was also stunned by her tremendous success. “March Madness is the best time of year,” she said. I can’t take the credit for the win because it’s my husband’s bracket.” She originally picked James Madison as her champion since her son attends the school. 

The final five now await the Final Four to see who will be The Lance’s first-ever bracket challenge winner. 

ESPN ranks the surviving contests as follows: 

1. Mrs. Luby with a 35.8% chance of coming out on top. The Elite Eight champion and the current leading bracket picked Uconn as her National Champion; she’s the only one of the five contenders to do so. Therefore, if Uconn can go all the way, so will Ms. Luby. 
  2. Jack Small comes in at second with a 29.7% chance of winning, however, he only ranks 27. A National Championship with Purdue topping Uconn would allow Small to claim the title. 
  3. Currently sitting at 21, Matteo Morrissey also needs Purdue to win the National Championship. Morrissey has a 20.4% chance of winning Lance Madness, but he needs Alabama to top Uconn in the Final Four in order to stay alive.
  4. Ms. Hering sits in ninth place with a 13.9% chance of winning it all. Ms. Hering only requires Alabama to win their first-ever National Championship in order to top the challenge.
  5. Marianna Moura is tied in ninth with Ms. Hering but ESPN only gives her a 0.3% chance of winning it all. Moura is going to need a miracle as Duke was her National Championship pick. If NC State can become the lowest seed to ever win the National Championship and so by beating Alabama, Moura would own the tiebreaker and an insane underdog story on her way to The Lance’s first-ever bracket challenge champion.

The two newest winners will receive a free lunch at the cafeteria and a Lance-branded phone card holder. Continue to keep up with the standings on ESPN’s bracket challenge under “OT The Lance” (or use the link) as the prizes will ramp up with each remaining round.