Close Up On The Art Club

Projects throughout the Seasons

NVOT students involved in the art club have been teaching the kids basic ways to create art.

Sofia Mangano

This year, art club students have taken a step back from murals, and a step towards the tots program. Once a month during lunch, the tots are given a chance to foster their artistic minds and create art. Art instruction helps children with the development of motor skills, language skills, social skills, decision-making, risk-taking, and inventiveness. So although it’s plenty of fun, this club also helps the tots advance intellectually.  

“It’s a really nice way for the teens that don’t do child development to also get to see the tots,” said club advisor Celia Gollub. 

The tots take part in a themed project relating to the current season of the year. Most of their work is up on the walls near the tots’ classroom. 

The kids seem to get very excited whenever it’s that time of the month. Senior Sofia Viganola said, “the tots’ eyes widen whenever they hear we are coming to do a craft with them.” The club members always look forward to spending their lunch period helping them create crafts. 

Junior Lizzie Ognibene, added “it’s also a great way to get freshmen involved with the tots because they are not allowed to take child development until sophomore year.”

In the future, the club hopes to start participating in more strenuous projects other than just cutting paper. 

• This fall the tots started off the school year in the Halloween spirit. But instead of drawing monsters and decorations, they created the thing everyone loves: candy corn. This piece is simple, yet very captivating to the tots. What’s better than candy corn?

• Although they took part in multiple winter projects, The snowman is cute and brings out the winter season. Other than Christmas themed art, they kept it casual with the original snowman every child makes around this time of year.

• Birds are such a symbolic animal for spring. This past project was definitely the cutest, and it took their creative side to be able to perfect this.