News
  • February 28Cheer Team Wins State Championship On Saturday at Brookdale Community College
  • February 28Senior Layla Giordano Scores 1000th Point In Girls Basketball Win Over West Essex
The Student News Site of Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Top 5 Overrated Halloween Costumes

Beware of these frightfully basic looks this Halloween

One of the most exciting parts about Halloween is seeing everyone’s creative costumes, but lately, they have been not-so-creative. Here’s our take on overrated costumes to save you from the social embarrassment of being basic. 

1. The Angel and Devil Duo

If you want to give 2016 vibes, this costume is perfect for you. The angel and devil combination gets done almost every year, which means it’s #WORN OUT… sorry not sorry. This costume got old real fast. We know you can do better. Throw out the devil headband and angel wings, let’s get original!

2. Raunchy Disney Princesses

The Disney Princess costumes are always a go-to. But, there’s a difference between wearing a cute dress, from wearing a tight corset top and a tiny skirt. You’re basically taking a child’s costume and turning it into something that it’s not. Let’s stop ruining little girls’ dreams. 

3. Mrs. Alien and Mr. Astronaut

The idea of wearing an all silver sparkly outfit while your boyfriend just makes you look good, casts a glimmer of light in every girl’s eye. Why can’t you do something more original, like a couple from a TV show, or something funny? Whenever your friends say it’s cute, they’re lying to you. Let’s be for real. 

4. Basic Firefighter

The firefighter costume is so basic that anyone who dresses as one, wears the same exact outfit. Most of the time you buy pieces off of Amazon and put them together yourself, but the store bought costumes was on trend about two years ago–it’s time for something new, ladies. 

5. The “Last Minute” Jersey Costume

The “classic” jersey costume is not as classic as you think. Every boy from ages 10 to 17 wears a sports jersey over a sweatshirt on Halloween. EVERY YEAR. Boys, boys, boys… we are disappointed. Although, it might be even worse when girls decide to wear a plain jersey. There are so many alternative Halloween costumes that a girl can choose from. Wearing a sports jersey is a disgrace to Halloween itself. And most of the time, it’s a last minute decision. They never look put together, so yes, you should be embarrassed.